The Western Australian and EFPS Curriculum:
Mathematics provides students with essential mathematical skills and knowledge in Number and Algebra, Measurement and Geometry, and Statistics and Probability. It develops the numeracy capabilities that all students need in their personal, work and civic life, and provides the fundamentals on which mathematical specialties and professional applications of mathematics are built.
The curriculum focuses on developing increasingly sophisticated and refined mathematical understanding, fluency, logical reasoning, analytical thought and problem-solving skills. These capabilities enable students to respond to familiar and unfamiliar situations by employing mathematical strategies to make informed decisions and solve problems efficiently.
At EFPS Our Maths Program;
- Has a structured, coordinated and whole school approach from Year P – 6. This involves regular Phase of Learning meetings to ensure a common approach to Maths teaching and learning.
- Deliver an effective mental maths program incorporated into a daily uninterrupted Numeracy Block.
- Incorporated within are strategies, assessment, monitoring, planning and resourcing.
- Focuses on the explicit teaching of fundamental and higher order problem solving skills.
- Focuses on the principle and strategies that lie within the First Steps in Maths program.
- At least one hour per day is Numeracy focused – incorporating mental maths, explicit teaching, application and repetition time, sharing and extension.
- Cater for specific student needs.
- Will be organised into content units with common year group diagnostic assessments to follow.
- Sets specific targets within our Business and Class Plans specific to Numeracy.
- Will see staff sharing expertise and using Professional Learning to improve student outcomes.
- Will use class, team and NAPLAN assessment on a school level to plan targeted learning activities to improve student outcomes.
- Ensures each stakeholder has a shared and common understanding of their roles within the Numeracy Plan. Ie; Board, Numeracy Coordinator, Committee, Teacher and Student.
- Has a Numeracy Team Leader and Committee that commits to the ethos and management of the EFPS Numeracy Plan.
Engagement and Enrichment in Maths Learning.
Years 5 and 6
The main aim of the program is to increase the student’s interest in mathematics by engaging in activities that develop a sound mathematical understanding and to engage in challenges that will enhance the mathematical problem-solving skills of the students.
*This program is offered to high achieving students based on NAPLAN scores and teacher feedback.
*All students will be catered for in terms of using maths knowledge and skills to problem solve with the main point of difference being the complexity of the problem.
More detailed information can be found at www.scsa.wa.edu.au